If you have children in your home, you may have notice that in warm weather such as during summer, they will climb on the windows sills and furniture to have a better view of the beautiful world outside. Normally, window screens will not be able to support the weight of the child, and he or she may fall and hurt him or herself. Nevertheless, you can take a few excellent measures to ensure your windows are always safe for your children. Some of these measures include:
These are perhaps the most effective safety precaution you can take to keep your windows safe for your children. Basically, window guards are barriers that prevent entry or exit of your windows while allowing you to open your windows. These are best suited for the traditional double-hung windows. Window guards are highly recommended for any windows above the ground. They can fit a wide range of windows sizes from 14 inches to 58 inches. If you have sliding or crank-style windows, you need to order windows guards specific for these windows. However, designate one window in the house for fire escape and other emergencies.
Window locks and latches
Today, window locks and latches come in numerous different designs. There primary purpose is to lock the windows securely, and allow them to be opened up to a certain point. When picking your latches and locks, pay attention to security as well as safety. If you are childproofing your windows, the maximum child-safe distance your window latches should allow the windows to open is 4 inches.Try to use locks that children cannot open or break easily.
Childproofing window blinds
A simple solution to childproof your window blind is simply to cut the cords so that your children cannot reach them. If cutting the cords is too much to bear, you can use a cord cleat or cord wrap, which you will screw into the window frame and wrap the excess cord around it so that it is out of your children’s reach. You can alternatively use an automatic item to spool the extra cord with just the touch of a button. It is important not to forget to designate one window for emergency exist. You can even install a special window guard on this window that an adult can remove easily in case need be.
Dos and DON’Ts of window safety products
- Do not rely on your window screen to protect your child from falls from windows since they cannot bear the weight of a child pushing against them.
- Do not place large pieces of furniture near windows since they offer easy access to the window for your young children.
- Do not automatically assume window safety products will keep your child safe, and hence leave him or her unattended.
- Do examine your windows carefully ensuring your children cannot be able to climb on the furniture and access the windows.
- Do install high quality window guards in your windows especially if you plan to be opening your windows during the summer.
Dennis has been an expert of window installation and safety for many years. He recently started blogging to share some of his top secrets to have brilliant designs of total home garden doors.