The most stressful part of moving is the actual moving part. Getting all your clothes, personal belongings, books and other items into boxes and then moving all your furniture can really take a serious toll. You may start to question your sanity, because you will realize how much stuff you actually have – it can be quite shocking. However, moving like a pro is easy provided that you know where to start and where to organize items. The last thing you want is to move haphazardly, which can make the whole process that much more disorganized and stressful. Here are five tips to help you pack up your home like a professional.
- Label everything. Labeling all your boxes is critical, because not only will it allow you to organize and prioritize all your items, but it will also allow you to know where everything is. Many people don’t take this very simple step, but when it comes to unloading all your stuff in your new house, if things aren’t labeled, it can make it much more difficult. When it comes down to it, you want to be able to move boxes into each room that they are supposed to go in. Without labels, this can be nearly impossible.
- Don’t put fragile items in a box without protecting them first. When it comes down to it, a professional moving company, like Altitude Movers Denver, would never allow fragile items onto their truck without protecting the items first. Basically, anything that can easily break should be protected with bubble wrap and newspapers – from porcelain lamps to mugs. Also, you want to wrap and protect each item individually, because in a box these items could crash into each other and break.
- Prioritize what to pack up first. For instance, you probably want to leave a few items that you use on a daily basis for the last day of moving and pack the items that are bound for storage first. For instance, you don’t want to get rid of your breakfast nook table if you eat there every morning – the same goes with the clothes in your closet. So, make sure to leave all the items you use everyday for the very last day of moving.
- When you take apart furniture, like bookshelves and beds, you want to make sure you keep everything organized. If you don’t know how something goes back together again, make sure to take pictures of all the parts and where each and every screw goes. Also, you want to make sure that you put all the nuts, bolts, screws and other important pieces in Ziploc bags. You can then tape the zip lock bag to the biggest piece of the furniture so that it won’t get lost.
- Make sure you don’t forget anything. When you move, it can be easy to forget things, so before you close the truck and move on, you want to do a sweep of each room. You can look in closets, behind doors and anywhere else that you may have overlooked. The last thing you want is to move and realize you left something important behind.