The foundation of your home is the skeleton of your home – without this skeleton, your home would be a very unsafe combination of walls and beams with not much support to keep it standing for more than a few years, even with a foundation it can become very unstable if you don’t so a residential foundation repair when needed. The truth is that homes fluctuate and change – they evolve and settle. Without a foundation, your home could settle right into the mud below, which could cause significant damages – not to mention injury. However, sometimes the foundation of our homes can show signs of wear and tear – the floors are uneven, there are cracks in the walls and your doors don’t line up like they used to. If this is the case, you need to make a few repairs before it gets worse. Here are five ways to save money when getting a foundation repair, but a great way to avoid this is by getting the proper house underpinning done when the house is first getting built.
- Use wire mesh to support uneven and degraded foundation walls. Carbon-fiber mesh is often a lot more inexpensive than other methods of reinforcing a compromised foundation. When it comes down to it, anchors and braces can cost two to three times as much money. Carbon-fiber mesh can be used to support and keep your foundation balanced and even – not to mention, it can also fill out degraded foundation walls.
- If you notice that your foundation is overly dry, make sure that you provide moisture to the soil along the perimeter of your home’s foundation wall. Oftentimes, a lack of moisture can cause stress on your foundation, which causes the foundation to become dry and brittle. While a foundation repair company, like Dura Pier foundation repair, can add new cement, you want to see what you can do on your own. When it comes down to it, making sure that your soil is moist is an important step.
- Use pre-built or cast cement piles to replace compromised foundation pillars with a new proper foundation forms. When it comes down to it, custom build foundation pillars can cost a fortune. However, you can just as easily find pre-cast foundation pillars that can serve the same function – at a fraction of the price. The reason why custom built foundation pillars are so expensive is because they must be built for your home and a lot of labor costs can go into the process.
- Consult with an engineer. Before you spend a fortune on foundation repair, be sure to talk to an engineer about all your possibilities. A consultation will be expensive up front, but it will certainly be worth it. A consultation could save you thousands of dollars, so why not invest in the initial cost. When it comes down to it, you don’t want to make a repair that doesn’t need to be made.
- Repair your foundation sooner rather than later. When you start to notice the tell-tale symptoms that your foundation needs to be repaired, you need have the situation remedied immediately. If you wait even a few weeks, a foundation repair that was a small, inexpensive problem could turn into a big, expensive problem. So, make sure that you remain attentive.