Now that we have the internet and social media, hobbies like knitting may not seem so enjoyable anymore. But unbeknownst to many, a lot of people still enjoy knitting, and they even make money from it by selling their finished projects online. You can find affordable yarn and other knitting materials online so you can get started right away.
What is knitting?
Knitting is the use of two or four needles to create any type of clothing from multiple loops of yarn. The needles are not like the regular small, pointy ones that you usually see used for sewing clothes, but rather larger and longer. They are used to loop the yarn in an almost endless cycle to be able to form a hat, sweater, scarf, or mittens, usually for colder weather. If you end up making a lot of clothes that are very delicate to put in the washer, then consider taking them to your local dry cleaning services.
How to Start Knitting For Cheap
Here are a few tips on how to save money while starting this new hobby.
Look for knitting tutorials online
If you still don’t know how to knit, there are a lot of video tutorials teaching you how to knit for beginners. Just log onto YouTube and search for knitting tutorials to find a video that will be easy enough for you to follow. Also, visit vinylcuttingmachineguide.com for a step-by-step guidance in choosing the best vinyl cutter for your crafting needs.
Go on free knitting pattern sites
The internet is a very large library of information that you can access for free. All you have to do is just type in your query and hundreds and thousands of results that might be of huge help to you will come up in a snap. There are a lot of knitting pattern sites where you could download patterns in PDF form for free, or for less.
Save money on yarn by looking for cheap deals
If you are knitting a lot, it’s only normal that you will need to buy several balls of yarn at a time. Others find yarn unaffordable, but you don’t have to splurge on any of the materials you use, especially if you intend to make knitting more than just a hobby. Here are some places you can find affordable yarn:
- Facebook knitting groups (buy & sell ones)
- Yard sales
- Craft store sales
You can also use coupons to save money on yarn. Some stores offer promotional discounts, especially if you buy in bulk. If you are really looking to save money shop around for the best deals.
Some people make their own yarn from old t-shirts. All you need is a seamless t-shirt, scissors, and an iron. Here is how to do it.
- Iron the t-shirt so that it lies flat making it easier for you to cut it up in long, narrow pieces.
- Trim it straight across the chest, starting from just under the armpits and going to the other side.
- Take the “tube” of cloth, or the part that you have severed from the top of the shirt. Again, cut across it and into 1-inch strips, but don’t cut them all the way through. Stop just an inch before getting to the edge.
- Take the sides (uncut edges) so that it’s facing you, and cut one strip off at a diagonal angle. This is the first end of your yarn.
- Trim the last tail off on the diagonal when you reach the far end. This is the second end of the yarn.
- Take the 1-inch fabric strips and pull on it so they curl up into a tube, creating a ball of yarn.
If there’s a hole or a small stain on your knit, instead of getting it repaired you could just cover it up for the meantime with enamel pins or iron-on patches.